Sunday, November 12, 2006

Mr Bandwagon's One Square meal....

Due to that pesky thing called work had to have a very belated birthday gathering, which was nice! No fancy party or glitzy venues, just an evening in a friendly boozer with friends! Sounds boring but as I live away, everyone getting older and having kids and it having to happen on a Sunday (pesky work..GRRR!) it happens less and less! It was nice to see so many people making the effort and come out on a school night! It was just like the old days - now I know I'm getting old(er)! This gathering bought about one of our favourite stupid games.... if you were a ???? what would you be? With subjects such as fish or cheese - bizarre I know! But this bought about a new and interesting one - Roger Hargreaves is writing a new range of Lil Miss and Mr Men books and wants to write one about you - what's it called and why? Had a surprising range of answers - only women seem to be able to give sensible answers - if such a thing! So, Hi I'm Mr Bandwagon as I jump on so many!

As previously mentioned I was beening treated to lunch by my generous boss! I was asked where my preferences to eat where and so on Monday we meet at the stupid hour of 9am (on my well deserved day off) and we headed of to London Village. We were meeting some new suppliers before lunch to arrange some sample coffee blends for the restaurant so we arrived at coffee hq to sample their offerings - which was nice but after 8 espressos was feeling kinda wired! On way to restaurant was told could not get into my choices so they decided themselves, a judgement I trust from my Chef - holder of 2 Michelin Stars - so knows enough about food to be trusted! The venue was another 2 Michelin Star restaurant called The Square in SWANKY Mayfair! The place has just undergone a referb and the dining room was light, airy with some nice pieces of art work on the walls. Quite refined! It was my kind of place as no music was playing in the background which is always good! Not that I don't like music - I love it, it's just that normally you find they play something to try and please everybody - which means non descript crap! So no music is good! Service is quiet and quite discreet which is something else I like! Nothing worse than having some waiter/ess striking up a conversation while trying to eat!
We started with a selection of Amuse Bouche including tempura langoustine tails, deep-fried risotto balls and foie gras mousse! This was followed by an appetizer of Mushroom Soup with a cep foam and summer truffles! This was flavoursome, hot and a great palate cleanser - but lacked a severe amount of salt! My first course was a Salad of Cumin Dusted Calves Sweetbreads with Cauliflower, Cepes, Almonds, Beaufort and Truffle. This looked amazing with the sweetbreads cooked perfectly, seasoned slightly better but not warm enough which disappointed! This was followed by Orkney Scallops with Curried Parsnip Puree and a Vinaigrette of Pomegranate, Grapes, Capers and Lime. Again looked stunning on the plate, Scallops cooked perfect, flavours all worked well together and seasoned nicely! The best course so far! Next was the Assiette of Veal which included Braised Cheek, Sweetbread, Confit of Liver and Croquette of Tongue! This looked stunning on the plate with some stunning colours from the carrot puree and cauliflower puree, the meat was cooked perfectly and great flavours but was no where near warm enough as the purees and sauce were starting to congeal on the plate, so very disappointing! Dessert was Raisin and Guinness Soufflé with Black Velvet Ice Cream which was lovely! All in all for the standard of the restaurant I was quite disappointed! The food, flavours and style of cooking was excellent - just let down by the warmth of the food! We previously ate at the sister restaurant The Ledbury and felt was far better only let down being over zealous with the salt!

Rating 6/10 but well worth a visit - dont get 2 stars for nothing!

11 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

The square is very swanky indeed!
Love that website. The design is fab.
It all sounds delish, but the scallops with pomegranite vinaigrette sounds heavenly!

Nice birthday dinner

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Cor, that all sounds fab and I'm now hungry again Mr Bandwagon.

Tonight, I did myself one mean chicken Korma; You'd of been proud of me I'm sure *snigger*
I wonder how many Michelin stars my kitchen would receive? :0)

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Purple Donkeys said...

Kayla:

V swanky indeed! Scallops were THE best dish of the day! I'm soooo lucky! And your Lil Miss name is?

Big DoGGa

Chicken Korma sounds COOL - from scratch or from Jar?!?!? As for Michelin stuff - stick to the tyres!!

So whats your MR Man name then? Mr Techno?

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Kayla said...

Little Miss Kayla Elizabeth, Steve.
And smile when you say it!
haha

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Phil said...

The sauce was from a packet of dried mix that you add to milk and I added some sugar and garamasala adn a touch of chilli puree. I then fried the chicken in a litel olive oil and rolled the chicken in mild chilli powder. Then I chopped up half a pepper and added a handful of sliced mushrooms. Boiled it all down, did a packet of Basmati rice in the microwave and served it up! Ta daaaa...
I don't know what my mister man name is, how do I find out or do I just make it up myself?

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Purple Donkeys said...

Kayla

Hard not to smile when you say that!

DoGGa

it's what best describes you - had answers ranging from Lil Miss Domestic Goddess to Lil Miss Late To Mr Gaybar!! Me and one of My Ex's (Evil Bitch) once gave Mr Men books to our friends one christams - she gave my then girlfriend a lil Miss Bossy Book - didn't go down well!!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Little Miss Prissy Pants?
hehe

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Purple Donkeys said...

Well i will have to take your word for that - but far better than Lil Miss No Pants?!?!
You need to check this out as could cause confussion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pants

?!?

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Kayla said...

Oh dear!
haha..I didn't know it meant underwear in Britain!
So if I wear cute lacy undies,
I could be Prissy Pants?
Too funny

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Kayla said...

What's up Steve?
:-)

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Purple Donkeys said...

Hey Kayla,

Not much going on apart from PC trouble - pesky things! Was life easier with out them i ask myself some times! New entry comin up soon! Hope you well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home